From: Rob Lindberg
I imagine you’re already aware, but just in case a reminder is helpful, I want to alert you to the announcement below regarding the annual Southeast BIO (SEBIO) Business Plan competition. This competition has a life sciences focus and is an opportunity to develop, vet and present a business plan for the commercialization of a life sciences technology in your portfolio, compete for a cash prize, receive extensive mentoring from seasoned entrepreneurs and draw the attention of angel and venture capital investors from across the country. Finalists are given the opportunity to present at the annual SEBIO meeting. It’s my observation that there is a significant benefit and notoriety (the positive kind) associated with participating in the competition. Last year, the competition winner was Cerene Biomedics, a company formed and led by a team of Duke students.
Note that the deadline for entering the competition has been extended to April 8th. Additional information is available by following the links below.
All the best,
Robert A. Lindberg, PhD, RAC
Director, BATON Program ∙ North Carolina Biotechnology Center
15 T.W. Alexander Drive ∙ P.O. Box 13547 ∙ Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-3547
SEBIO Extends Deadline for BIO/Plan Competition to April 8
Due to several requests, Southeast BIO (SEBIO) is extending the deadline to apply for its Third Annual BIO/Plan Competition to Wednesday, April 8. The BIO/Plan Competition has been designed and developed to help promote the creation of new, venture-attractive life science companies based in the Southeast.
The application is free and requires minimal time to complete.
- Gain exposure for your opportunity within the Venture Capital community as all applicants will be presented to a select group of venture capital funds.
- Gain exposure for your opportunity within your State’s Life Sciences Industry Support community.
- Engage the active interest and participation of your Technology Transfer Office in the commercial development of your opportunity.
- 10 Semifinalists will be selected to undergo a rigorous 6-month mentorship process by a specially selected team of venture capitalists, entrepreneurs and service providers designed to develop a fundable business plan.
- 4 Finalists will be selected to present at the 2009 SEBIO Investor Forum to the full conference audience.
- 1 Winner will win a Grand Prize of substantial funds to launch the enterprise and implement the plan.
Howie Rhee, MBA
Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Fuqua School of Business, Duke University
Watch our video: www.fuqua.duke.edu/wakeup
Walk-in Hours for Students: Mondays, 12:30-1:30pm, Thursdays, 3:00-4:00pm
Duke Entrepreneurship Links:
- Weekly Education Series - www.dukeDEES.com
- Connect with Duke Entrepreneurs - www.dukegen.com
- Find a startup - www.startupmatchmaker.blogspot.com
- Duke Start-Up Challenge - www.dukestartupchallenge.org
- Entrepreneurship Week 2008 - www.eweekatduke.com
- Find an expert http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/centers/cei/entrepreneuraffiliates/
- Twitter - http://twitter.com/howierhee
- Blog - www.howierhee.blogspot.com
- Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/eshipatduke
- LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/in/howierhee
- Learn VC - www.learnvc.com (advertisement)